100 years ago
The Czech University of Prague becomes Charles University
Charles University of Prague, founded in 1348 by Emperor Charles IV, is one of the oldest universities in the world. Today it is divided into 17 faculties and with its over 50,000 students it is considered a prestigious and avant-garde university, holder of an excellent score in the world academic ranking. The name “Univerzita Karlova” (Charles University) was attributed to the Czech University of Prague from 19 February 1920, following a law, known as “Lex Mareš”, which declared, in addition to the new configuration of relations with the German University of Prague, that Karlova had descended directly from the Karls-Universität (the university wanted by the Emperor Charles IV). Thus the medieval logo and insignia held hitherto by the German University were recognized, not without some controversy. The latter continued to be active until 1945. In 1920, also the ancient Karolinum complex and the old university archive fell under the jurisdiction of Charles University.